Hello and happy Tuesday!! 2/5ths done the work week but who’s counting right? (HAHA..~not me~)
Well I’m glad to be home. Today was a regular work day filled with its ups and downs so getting home to my shows is really, really exciting!
I know I’m not alone when I say I love to munch or sip on something while watching TV but I’m tired of the regular- chips, popcorn, leftovers, the list goes on. So I decided to shake things up a little bit with these pretzel bites.
These are perfect for any occasion- potlucks, movie parties, brithdays, or even a night in like today. And who doesn’t like soft pretzels???? I mean come on! They come from heaven (or someone who is really good in the kitchen- so really, the same thing).
Anyways, here’s the recipe! Hope you enjoy 😀
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons golden yellow sugar
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda mixed with 1 1/8 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 12 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
- Coarse sea salt
- Mix the water, sugar, baking soda-lemon mixture, and butter in the medium sized bowl until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour to the water mixture and mix with dough hook on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 30 seconds. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.
- Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bring the 12 cups of water to a boil in a small pan over high heat and carefully add the baking soda very slowly as it will boil over.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or oil spray.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches for about 30 seconds/ batch. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 19 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating.
*You can dip these in cheese sauce, honey, or toss them in sugar and cinnamon as I did.