So I decided to try something new! I made lemon cake without eggs or lemon zest! The cake turned out very soft and sweet but still quite tangy.
So if you’re not vegan, you’re probably like “cake without eggs?” Well yes, my friends! I am not vegan but I crossover in my recipes to accommodate everyone and contrary to popular belief, vegan food isn’t that different or less yummy. Obviously, you can still make this cake with eggs and you can ask me for a recipe for that and I will be more than happy to send you one (or make a new cake, because why not?!).
Now, this cake does not contain eggs but it does contain butter and sour cream so it is not all the way vegan! (I can also make a vegan lemon cake and send you that recipe!)
The batter is very jiggly. Almost like flour mixed in with jello. LOL. It’s thick and almost stretchy.
Well as unpleasant as that looks, here’s what it comes out to:
When you get to the glaze, it should turn out like this:
It’s a bit hard to mess up the glaze as it’s literally two ingredients.
Anyways, get to baking! Let me know how this turns out for you 🙂
For the Cake:
All-purpose flour– 1 ¾ cups
Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
Butter – ½ cup
White Granulated sugar – ½ cup
Sour cream- ½ cup
Water- 1/2 cup
Fresh Lemon juice – 5 tablespoons
- For the Icing:
Powdered sugar (Confectioner’s sugar or icing sugar) – 1 cup
Fresh lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degree F or 175 degree C
2) Lightly butter a cake pan and keep it aside. Alternately you can spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
3) Mix all-purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl, put in softened butter and mix till it is smooth then add in the sugar and keep mixing.
- In a different bowl, mix in the sour cream and water and pour this mixture into the butter mixture.
6) Add in lemon juice and mix till evenly combined
- Add half of the flour mixture and beat till it’s even then add the rest of the flour mixture and mix well.
8) Pour batter in prepared cake pan
9) Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or a toothpick inserted in middle of cake will come out clean.
10) While the cake is cooling, make the icing. Sift powdered sugar in a bowl.
11) Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and stir until you get thick and smooth glaze.
12) When you drop glaze from spoon it should be smooth and runny. Add more lemon juice or sugar as needed.
13) Pour icing over top of cake and spread with butter knife or spoon and let it drip down the sides