It’s almost the weekend 🙂 *happy dances*
I noticed I actually haven’t posted a hot meal recipe on here (except for my pizza) but that really isn’t a hot meal so here’s my dinner tonight:
It’s so healthy and refreshing. I am very happy I had this tonight and there are even leftovers for my lunch tomorrow :)!
It’s quite a lengthy process but if you put on some good music and genuinely enjoy cooking, this is actually really fun to make. It’s also vegan and vegetarian friendly so it’s a perfect meal for potlucks and food shares.
The good thing about this too is if you run out of the tofu mix before you run out of rice, the rice is really good on it’s own or just a regular easy sauce. Eating it with the tofu mix makes everything better to be honest because the coconutty taste really blends well with the mango.
The tofu mix alone is really yummy to pick at but refrain from doing that so you have enough for the rice. I may or may not be speaking from experience.
I hope you try this out! If you do, let me know how it turned out for you and if you used any fun substitutes. Till next time!
- 5 cups uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp salt
- 398 mL can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
HONEY LIME SAUCE
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch
PAN FRIED TOFU
- 420g package firm
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 Tbsp oil for frying
- 1 mango, diced
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Drain the moisture from the tofu and dry the tofu with some paper towel and wrap it in fresh paper towel. Press the wrapped tofu in between two plates and place something heavy on top of it. Let this pressing process happen for 30 minutes
- While the tofu is being pressed, boil your rice in some water. Add in the garlic, salt and coconut milk.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the honey lime sauce. Zest the lime till you have about ½ teaspoon of zest. Squeeze the juice from the lime into a separate bowl (you’ll need about ¼ cup juice). Combine the juice with ½ tsp of the zest, honey, soy sauce, and corn starch in a bowl. Stir until the corn starch and honey are dissolved.
- After the tofu has been pressed, cut it into cubes. Dab with paper towel to make sure all the moisture is gone. Season the tofu with a pinch of salt. Sprinkle the corn starch on the tofu and gently toss till all the pieces are evenly covered.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the tofu and fry on until golden brown on each side. When your tofu is fried, remove from heat and set it aside.
- Give the sauce a quick stir and add it to the tofu. Let the glaze simmer and thicken. When it gets thick, turn the heat down and add your cubed mango. Stir so that everything is nicely coated.
- Add the green onions and red pepper flakes and stir for the last time and take off the heat
- If you wish, you can serve with avocado and cilantro