Hello hello! Happy hump day 🙂
Throughout this whole food blogging situation, I have bought ingredients and just have not used them. For example, I have a whole bunch of chocolate, too many sprinkles (but can you ever have too many sprinkles? YES YOU CAN) and TONS of lemons. So I’m slowly chipping away at my ingredients because they are taking up space. I have been using my lemons for lemon tea and just zesting and juicing them for most things now. I decided to make lemon cake as well so that I could put some of the lemons to really good use.
I made lemon cake before along with lemon glaze but this recipe is a little different. This one has eggs unlike the other one and the directions are simpler. Oh! And it also includes lemon zest 🙂
This one turned out really sweet. It is a perfect tea time cake especially paired with a black or rooibos tea. Or if you’re feeling particularly zesty, with some lemon tea.
The cake rose quite a bit so be careful not to over fill your pan.
Let me know if you make this one or the other lemon cake and how it turned out! If you made both, which do you prefer?
I prefer this one because it is easier to make and is sweeter than the other one 🙂
1/2 cup of butter
1.5 cups of sugar
4 egg whites
2 1/4 cups of flour
1 1/4 cups of milk
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F and line a cake pan with parchment paper or just oil the pan.
2. Mix butter, sugar, and egg whites in a bowl till its all combined
3. In another bowl, mix in the flour, milk, baking powder and salt. Pour butter mixture into the flour mixture and mix until combined evenly.
4. Mix in the lemon juice and and pour mixture in the pan
5. Sprinkle the top of the batter with lemon zest and bake for 55 minutes